DIY Patriotic Memorial Cross
DIY Patriotic Memorial Cross
Today we are creating a festive Patriotic Memorial Cross that can be attached to an easel to be used in a Cemetery or it can be hung from any door as door decor. Tim, our Floral Designer at Fads & Frames in Alexandria, LA, helped us create this beautiful and unique piece that can be used all throughout the Summer months. This Cross can be created using the steps and supplies listed below, as always, any combination of ribbon, florals and accents can be used to create a one-of-a-kind piece for your loved ones or door.
- (1) 24" Moss & Angel Vine Cross
- (2) 24" Classic Red Rose Stem
- (1) 29" White Cabbage Rose Spray
- (1) 16" Mixed Leaves & Twigs Spray
- (1) 15" Green Lace Fern Spray
- (1) 2.5" Red Stripes & Blue Stars Ribbon
- (1) 28" Patriotic Glitter Stars Spray
- (1) 24" Wire Easel (optional)
- Wire Cutters
- Floral Wire
- Hot Glue
- The first thing that you will need to do is to gather all of your supplies. Remember, that any combination of florals, accents and ribbon can be used to create this design.
- We will begin by cutting the majority of the length off of the Mixed Leaves and Twigs Spray. Then we will place in into the cross just below the center. Remember to add a bit of hot glue to the end of the stem before placing it into the cross.
- Next we will be cutting apart the Classic Red Rose Stems into separate pieces and adding them to the cross. We have added one to the top right of the center of the cross and then another underneath the greenery that is in the middle.
- Now we can begin to cut apart our White Cabbage Roses and place them in the cross. Remember to add a dollop of hot glue to each of the stems before sticking them in the cross.
- Next we will cut apart our Green Lace Fern Spray to add more greenery to the cross. We will place these pieces in and among the other florals that are already on the cross.
- To add a little more Patriotic color to our cross we will tie a 2 loop Bow using the Red Stripes & Blue Stars 2.5" Ribbon. We placed our bow just down from the center of the cross in between the Red Classic Rose using floral wire.
- To add more Red to our cross, we added the second of our Classic Red Rose Stems near the top.
- We also wanted to add a bit of Patriotic flair to this cross. We did that by cutting apart the Glitter Stars spray into three sections. We added them to the top, middle and bottom sections of the florals.
- At this point you can choose whether or not to use this cross as a Door Decor piece or as a Memorial Piece. As a Door Decor piece, you can attach a loop to the top using floral wire or simply hang the cross using the angel vine that it is made from.
- To use this cross as a Memorial piece you will need to attach it to a wire easel using floral wire also. You will need to secure the cross to the easel at the top and the bottom of the cross. Floral Wire can easily be fed through the Angel Vine and then wrapped around the leg of the easel.
- When you have finished adding the easel you will have a lovely Memorial piece to honor your loved one.
- Rebecca Coffman