DIY Summer Memorial Saddle
DIY Summer Memorial Saddle
This week we are creating a bright and bold Memorial Saddle to honor your loved ones. Tim, our Floral Designer at Fads & Frames, used a bold Sunflower & Peony Floral Bush to create this wonderful piece. You can create one of your very own using the supplies and steps listed below. As always, any combination of florals and greenery can be used to create this Saddle.
- (1) Saddle Frame
- (1) Styrofoam Block
- (3) Purple Peony & Sunflower Mixed Floral Bush
- (2) Silk Leather Leaf Bush
- (1) 28" English Ivy Hanger
- (1) Box Floral Greening Pins
- Wire Cutters
- Hot Glue
- To get started you will need to gather all of your supplies. Remember, that any combination of florals and greenery can be used when creating this Saddle.
- The first step will be to secure the Styrofoam Block to the Saddle Frame. This can be done by sticking the Styrofoam on top of the prongs that are on either end of the Saddle Frame and pushing the Styrofoam down on top of them.
- To secure the Styrofoam even further you will need to turn the frame over and then use the Greening Pins to insert into the Styrofoam around the bars of the Saddle Frame. You will also need to add a bit of Hot Glue on top of each Greening Pin to ensure that they do not fall out.
- Once the Styrofoam is secure we can work on creating a base of Leather Leaf Fern. You will want to cut your Leather Leaf Fern Bush about half way down the stem so that they are all roughly the same length. You will want to stick in the pieces of Leather Leaf all the way around the bottom edge of the Styrofoam creating a skirt. Remember to add a bit of Hot Glue to the end of each stem before placing it into the Styrofoam. This will ensure that your stems stay in the Styrofoam.
- Next you will want to create a second layer to the skirt by moving up to the top of the Styrofoam and repeating the first layer.
- After two layers the base should look something like this
- To complete the base of Leather Leaf we will add four more pieces of Leather Leaf fanning out from the center of the Styrofoam.
- Now that the base of Leather Leaf is complete we can start adding the florals. We cut apart the Peony & Sunflower Bush and will work on adding the Peony's first. The first Peony will be placed in the middle of the Styrofoam and then we fanned the rest out from there placing them throughout the Saddle.
- Now we will work on adding the Sunflower stems using the same process. They have been cut from the main stem of the bush and we are placing them throughout the Saddle.
- Now we can add the Lavender Accent Flowers from the main bush and the English Ivy Greenery. You can add as mush or as little of both accents as you would like. We only added a few sprigs of the English Ivy to give the Saddle a little more height and texture.
- Once you have finished adding the accents you can come to a stopping point. You will now have a gorgeous Memorial Saddle that could be used all through Summer and Fall.
- Rebecca Coffman